An Audiobook Review Blog
📚 The Diabolic by S.J. Kincaid

📚 The Diabolic by S.J. Kincaid

Available purchase options for this title (via affiliate links) are located below this review. Purchasing through them helps keep The Audiobookworm going. Learn more here.

Description⎮Reviewed Dec. 2016

Narrator: Candace Thaxton
Length: 12h 30m
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Audio⎮2016

 5★ AudiobookThe Diabolic was a pretty quick listen for me, mostly because I couldn’t put it down. In fact, I blame my current lack of sleep on how enthralled I became with this story. It didn’t take me very long to become hooked (<1-hour) and I appreciated the gradual buildup process in the beginning before any action took place.

The Diabolic was a very well-paced story. There was plenty of action, but it was balanced with subtle emotional manipulation so that the reader was not overwhelmed. The Diabolic  was written in a way that made the dialogue scenes just as thrilling as the action scenes. Having a humanoid protagonist was an interesting concept and I was surprised by just how much I was able to relate to her. I give 75% of that credit that to Kincaid’s excellent writing and the remaining 25% to Candace Thaxton’s narration (see below). Emotion and empathy played big parts in this story and Kincaid wrote in a way that turned the tables on the reader frequently, provoking similar feelings.

As a reader, I found this story to be satisfying in ways that most stories are not. Pardon my language, but sometimes all I want to see is a kick-ass heroine kick some ass. Kincaid constantly gave me (the reader) what I wanted without taking away any suspense from the overall arc.

As a protagonist, Nemesis was an amazing character. She was strong, capable, multifaceted, dynamic, and evolving. And she wasn’t even human. She was the anti-Mary Sue and I loved it. Her relationship with Sidonia was beautiful and I wish we could have seen more of it.

In summary, this was a wonderfully told story with uniquely memorable characters. The action scenes were captivating and kept me on the edge of my seat. The world Kincaid built blended the past and the future, combining a technologically futuristic setting with an ancient societal hierarchy. Although labeled as science fiction, certain elements of the story felt quite fantastical. I believe The Diabolic is suited for fans of science-fiction and fantasy alike.

Narration review: As referenced above, I recognize the effect Candace Thaxton’s narration had on my connection to the protagonist. Thaxton was in an interesting situation, voicing a protagonist who was not human, but slowly developed humanistic qualities during the course of the story. Thaxton vocalized the evolution of Nemesis’ humanity subtly, but effectively. She interpreted Kincaid’s written material perfectly and enhanced it in the most appropriate ways. Best of all, her narration remained true to the character Nemesis. The Diabolic  was a wonderful audio experience and I encourage you to give it a listen. ♣︎

$ Available at Audible/Amazon,  Audiobooks.comAudiobooks Now and The Book Depository


Let me know what you think!

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: